Ashley Farm is a timber and stone building, dating from around 1580.  The east side of the house was built around 1652.  It was an active farm until the 1950s.  We moved here in 2003 and started working on the garden in the winter of 2004/5.


The idea was to create a garden that was in keeping with the age of the house.  We enlisted the help of Simon Dorrell (from Bryan’s Ground) who came up with the design which we have customised slightly to our own needs.  The garden immediately around the house is fairly formal whilst the informality increases further away from the house. 


The yew and hornbeam hedges were planted between 2005 and 2008.  The knot garden and box ball garden in 2005.  In 2006 the canal was constructed and the pleached limes and box cones planted.  In 2008 the birch walk,  nuttery and rose walk were started.  The pond in the woodland was re modeled in 2009. At the beginning of 2016, yews were planted within the rear terrace and they will be trained into cones.  The large pots of Portuguese Laurels that were on the terrace were moved elsewhere.  In late 2016 a broad leaved native English woodland was planted and the Perry Orchard was incorporated into the Birch Grove and many more trees and shrubs were planted.

History